Which is the Biggest IPO in India (Updated 2023)?
If you are curious to know the answer to this question about India’s biggest IPO ever, or you want to see which are the companies on the list of Top 10 Biggest IPO in India, then you are in the right place.
You will get the answers to all your questions.
Without wasting any time, here is the list of biggest IPOs in India till date:
- LIC of India IPO or LIC IPO (Rs 21,000 crore) in 2022 – This is the largest IPO in the history of India or you can say that LIC IPO is the biggest IPO of India to date. earlier, it was expected to be off a much bigger size of Rs 50-60,000 crore but eventually, the IPO size was reduced substantially. But still, no other company comes close to LIC when it comes to being India’s Biggest IPO. It will be interesting to see what are LIC IPO Listing gains and how LIC IPO shares do in the long term. But it remains the biggest IPO of 2021 and 2022.
- Paytm IPO or One97 Communications IPO (Rs 18,300 crore) – It was open from 8-10 November 2021 in the price band of Rs 2080-2150 per share. Listed on 18-November 2021. The Paytm IPO India disappointed the investors on the listing day and ended down -27%
- Coal India IPO (Rs 15,200 crore) – It was open from 18-21 October 2010 in the price band of Rs 225-245 per share. Listed on 4-November 2010 and ended the first day with gains of 47%. This was India’s biggest IPO for more than a decade before Paytm came up with its offering.
- Reliance Power IPO (Rs 11,700 crore) – The old grand daddy of all Indian IPO stories that many investors will be happy to share with you. It was open from 15-18 January 2008 in price band Rs 405-450 per share. Listed on 11-February 2008. But this IPO didn’t do well and ended the first day with a loss of -17%. It eventually went down a lot further. Do an online search and you will know the Reliance Power IPO stories.
- General Insurance Corporation of India IPO or GIC IPO (Rs 11,257 crore) in 2017.
- SBI Cards & Payments Services IPO (Rs 10,341 crore) in 2020.
- Oil & Natural Gas Corp IPO or ONGC IPO (Rs 10,534 crore) in 2004. I think that if we adjust the numbers for inflation, the ONGC IPO of 2004 might just be on the top of the list of largest IPOs in India ever.
- New India Assurance IPO (Rs 9586 crore) in 2017.
- Zomato IPO (Rs 9375 crore) in 2021.
- DLF IPO (Rs 9188 crore) in 2007.
- HDFC Standard Life IPO or HDFC Life IPO (Rs 8695 crore) in 2017.
- SBI Life Insurance IPO or SBI Life IPO (Rs 8389 crore) in 2017.
* Yes Bank did an FPO (Follow-On Public Offering or Secondary offering) of Rs 15,000 crore in 2020. Hence, it is not considered in the list of the biggest IPOs in India.
So that is the IPO Historic Table that shows which are the biggest IPOs of India ever. Now you know which are the top entries in the largest IPOs in India list (2023) and that LIC IPO of 2022 was India’s Biggest IPO till date.
By the way, the biggest IPO doesn’t mean the highest subscribed IPO in India. That award goes to a smaller IPO of size Rs 600 crore by Latent View Analytics that was oversubscribed in huge numbers (339 times to be exact).
Related readings – Beware of IPO Mania and also read Why are IPOs Overpriced?
I am sure you want more.
So how do Indian IPOs compare with the largest IPOs of the world?
If you are curious about which is the world’s biggest IPO and not just about the biggest IPO in India, then here are the answers.
These are the Top 10 Largest Global IPOs of All Time in the World (Updated till 2023).
- Saudi Aramco IPO of $25.6 billion in 2019
- Alibaba IPO of $21.8 billion in 2014
- SoftBank IPO of $21.3 billion in 2018
- NTT Mobile Communication Network (NTT DoCoMo) IPO of $18.1 billion in 1998
- Visa IPO of $17.4 billion in 2008
- AIA Group IPO of $17.8 billion in 2010
- ENEL SpA IPO of $16.4 billion in 1999
- Meta (Facebook) IPO of $16 billion in 2012
- General Motors IPO of $15.8 billion in 2010
- ICBC IPO of $14 billion in 2006
As you can see, these are monstrous numbers and an insane amount of money raised by the largest IPOs in the world across the years.
The record for the Largest IPO in History and the answer to the question ‘Which Company Had the Largest IPO in History’ is Saudi Aramco IPO which went public in 2019 and raised $25.6 billion (and later increased it to $29.4 billion).
And how do the largest Indian IPOs compare with these when we convert them to USD $ Billion values in the years of their IPOs?
Here is the rough estimate for the Top-5 largest IPOs in India (in USD $ billions):
- LIC of India IPO or LIC IPO (Rs 21,000 crore or $2.7 Billion) in 2022
- Paytm IPO or One97 IPO (Rs 18,300 crore or $2.5 Billion) in 2021.
- Coal India IPO (Rs 15,200 crore or $3.4 Billion) in 2010
- Reliance Power IPO (Rs 11,700 crore or $2.9 Billion) in 2008
- General Insurance Corporation of India IPO (Rs 11,257 crore or $1.8 Billion) in 2017
I hope you found this list of Biggest IPO in India (2023) informative.
But I am sure of one thing. Given the growth opportunity in India, the list of India’s biggest IPOs will change a lot over the years. Though the top position of India’s largest IPO will remain with LIC IPO for a very long time, the other positions are up for grabs by the next set of biggest upcoming IPO in India in years to come.
By the way, have you ever invested in any of the above-discussed Biggest IPOs in India?